Top 7 Methods to Keep Chickens Healthy
Raising Backyard Chickens
Chicken Coop Plans
Common Chicken Questions
1. Regular Cleaning
- At least once a month replace all nesting material and floor covering having a fresh layer. To assist avoid the spread on disease to your chickens clean and disinfect your footwear, feeders and then for any other equipment that comes touching the chickens before visiting.
Keep Chickens at Home
2. Regular Inspection
- Look at your chickens once a week for signs and symptoms of illness or parasites. Any alterations in behavior or egg production might be a sign of a problem with your chicken. you should research carrying out a “worm egg count” which may be made by most vetrinary offices. I strongly suggest having your chickens vaccinated against worms one per year.
3. Isolate Sick birds
- If you feel any issues with one of the chickens, immediately separate from the others. Put the bird involved in the own isolated pen until inspected and cleared with a vet.
4. Eliminate Moisture
- With respect to the location and season of the year there is sure to be some form of water gathering in or nearby your pen or coop. Try to keep the area as dry as you can to aid eliminate water from pooling. Because pools of water can breed mosquitos, attract parasites and may sometimes create amonia gases to make the chickens sick.
5. Proper Coop Size
- It has been shown that coop & nest size may influence chicken behavior and egg production. In case a nesting box is too big the hens may peck or scratch the egg. However if it is not big enough the hen may not be comfortable enough to regularly lay eggs.
- Make sure you utilize strong chicken wire when constructing your coop and be sure it is firmly secured for the frame. Be certain to conserve a strong border across the bottom with the coop. Check for loose dirt or gaps between your coop and also the ground. If your coop needs any repairs, be sure to tackle them immediately in order to eliminate the possibility of any predator sneaking in during the night. Also, make sure you keep any perches high off the floor, typically 4 feet (with respect to the form of bird).
7. Temperature Control
- To maintain egg production and stop illness and even death, keep a decent temperature all year round. Of course, this temperatures varies on type of bird and also the amount of birds inside the coop. But to assist maintain temperature all year round a coop with adequate ventilation as well as the capability to close the coop of towards the elements is essential for the sake of your chicken.
How To Keep Chickens At Home